Every financial manager is different, which means that their investment styles are going to be different, too. What doesn’t change is the fact that we all incur trading slippage costs from time to time, especially in today’s highly-volatile markets, when the price of a security can change in a matter of seconds.
Most Trading Slippage Cost Analyses Fall Short
In our last article, A Quick Guide To Performing A Slippage and Liquidity Analysis, we explained how a proper analysis should be conducted. In fact, we narrowed it down to the fact that what you should be looking for are:
- whether you’ve incurred a slippage cost;
- how much that slippage cost was; and
- what factors resulted in that slippage cost.
But, of course, that is easier said than done, especially in a company that sells and buys hundreds of securities per day.
The going gets even tougher when you consider that at each level of the company, people in certain roles will require specific information from your reports.
- Your CEO may simply want a summary of the slippage trading costs and how you’re planning on reducing them in the future.
- Another manager may just want a quarterly update on how slippage costs have been reduced from the previous quarter.
- And you may need a detailed report on why slippage costs were incurred in the first place so you can avoid them in the future.
All that sounds like it’s a lot of work, doesn’t it?
Well, that’s why for most managers, who don’t have someone dedicated to monitoring trading slippage costs and writing up reports, the whole thing may seem like an insurmountable mountain of problems… But there is a solution!
Tailor-made Software That Understands Your Strategy
What is needed is software that can produce a breakdown of slippage costs by year, quarter, month, day, venue, strategy, and individual security, as well as by sector and market. This helps tell you exactly when each cost was incurred and how expensive it was.
It would also be helpful to have software that can calculate trading slippage costs and report them in real-time, as this would help you understand how market dynamics are affecting your sales and purchases.
Even with all this, however, you’d still need to be able to manually take action every time an issue arises… So, wouldn’t it be great if this software could be plugged into a system that could sell and purchase securities on your behalf based on your specified parameters, such as the ones mentioned in our Trading Idea Automation paper?
Well, we have just what it takes.
Wakett’s Golden Trio for Slippage Analysis
We have devised a series of solutions and products that work together to do all this… But you can pick and choose what you’d like the software to do for you.
- You can use CYBMIND, our Strategy Automation software, to measure slippage costs in real-time;
- You can use ONESTAT, our Data Analysis software, to aggregate the data you collect into different reports based on your needs; or
- You can use NEXTVIEW, our Predictive Modelling software, to help you adjust your strategy based on the market forces at play.
But, of course, you can use a tailored combination of the three to create a system that does most of the work for you based on your strategy, so you can focus your time on the things that matter.
So, if all that sounds great, get in touch with us to find out more!